Thursday, January 8, 2009

Making games

To the extent that I know that I'm not the only one reading this, I know that I'm not the only one reading this who is interested in learning how to program games. I highly suggest a recent post on Tales of the Rampant Coyote: Learning to Make Games

I experimented earlier with a (partly-failed) seven-day RogueLike, and have also played around with interactive fiction. I've found a number of the available toolkits to be somewhat lacking, though, like RPG Maker. (Which, admittedly, I haven't tried in some number of versions) I'm not exactly unskilled at scripting, but I have almost zero artistic ability for making tiles and sprites, and have yet to have a really good idea from which to start. Still, it's something I'd like to play with in the future, so the above link is as much for me to remember as for anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. I played with RPGMaker for a while way back in its PlayStation 1 incarnation. It was interesting, but pretty limited. I actually have a FAQ for it up on GameFaqs - mostly just documenting the extensive undocumented resource menus - the creation of which basically burned me out of the whole endeavor.

    ReplyDelete