Monday, January 25, 2010

All I'm Going To Say About That

So, as a bit of an Apple fan and someone interested in new tech, I've been interested in the rumors of an Apple tablet -- apparently to be either confirmed or dashed (probably both) on Wednesday while I am out of town. Say what you will about Apple's secrecy, I kind of like their whole "Just wait and we'll tell you when we're ready" attitude. It's a fun little game as long as you don't take it too seriously, and all too rare in a day and age where you have to actively hide from movie trailers if you don't want the plot spoiled for you before the damn thing's even out.

But it is still fun to guess, and I've been enjoying a lot of the rumors, including the conjecture about what the thing will be called. The Economist has posted one Paddy Power's odds on various names, with my personal favorite coming in at 500:1. (As one commenter noted, "Paddy Power" would itself be a great name for the product)

I thought about various things to say about this potential device, having included devices very much like what is described in my fiction, and having been interested in tablet-type interfaces ever since Star Trek. I could reiterate my distaste for the Apple App store, for example. Or I could relate the awful time I had getting the broken glass fixed on my iPod Touch after it fell a mere two feet.

Instead I'm just going to point out that, in that picture, Steve Jobs looks like he belongs on a front porch in a rocking chair cradling a shotgun. I think that pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment